Who is David Tilley?

And in other exciting happenings I seem to have caused eight people to join the Olympia Milk Bar Fspazbook group. I only wish I could have a celebratory cupcake but I can not because I am a fecking vegan. Fecking vegans can not eat $1 smiley face cupcakes with pink icing from the bakery near my office. This is a crime against my humanity.

Deciding to go ahead and be a temporary vegan for two weeks was a fucked idea and I mean fucked with a capital F. Fucked. Ever since I have been a vegan I have been craving plain chips. Salty, crunchy, oily, good. I can eat them, no problems there, I have had both crinkle cut (superior) and flat (only edible if kettle style of chip). I wake up in the middle of the night ready to DIE if I don't have a chip. I have not died but am surprised by this.

I wonder if the Olympia sells chips. The last time Spencer was there he asked for a chocolate bar and the diminished man said - not today. Spencer ended up with some chocolate but it took three goes.

I have also been craving vegemite. Salty, good. I have stuck my finger in the jar more than once this evening and may do so again. I am wondering if all vegans do this. Maybe they have secret vegan clubs where they sit around on the floor dipping chips into jars of vegemite and drinking elderflower water. I would join that club, if only temporarily, it sounds ideal.

Comments

Dahlia said…
I eat carrots with guacamole dip. It's like eating chips, but healthier.

What the hell is vegemite? I know it's an Aussie thing. I know this from a song, but I've always wondered and never felt the need to google it.
Gemnastics said…
hahahaha! she doesn't know what vegemite is!

sorry avi - it just seems so funny to have someone ask that question. it's just that when australian children are born, all the midwife needs to do is unscrew the lid of a jar of vegemite and out we pop, lubricated by more vegemite.

it is a black spread, salty and thick, that you put on bread or use as cooking stock. it is a yeast extract, though that doesn't explain the blackness. it has a strong, distinctive flavour and is apparently disgusting if you haven't grown up with it. it is the one thing australia has that is a weird cultural thing, only it's not even australian anymore. you guys own it now.
DS said…
What is the song? Is it I come from a land down under?
TimT said…
Vegemite is great, but what's David Tiley got to do with it?

David Tiley (one 'l') is a Melbourne blogger. He is also editor for an online film magazine and he's been a writer around the traps for a long time. Nice bloke. His blog is:

http://barista.media2.org
DS said…
Once again helpful but I am wondering if it is the same person, here is the link that caused my query.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=617483563
TimT said…
Different David Tiley, the Melblogosphere's David Tiley is as Old as the Hills.