Emotionless Rescue

Grizelda stood over it with her hands on her face bending forward but unable to touch it. I've got nothing in me but the urge to vacuum so that at my funeral they're not all standing around saying "She was thirty-one but never mastered the art of keeping a clean house, its so sad". Grizelda was distraught so I gently probed for signs of life. Its head lolled sideways its tongue thick and lifeless but its small heart was still beating so I scooped it up and carried it to the car and covered it in my favourite purple scarf. There wasn't a mark on it but it died none the less, the vet pronounced it dead on arrival then sprayed our hands with virus killing spray. He was tall with disordered hair, he thanked us for attempting to rescue the dead kitten then walked away in his white coat and student shoes.

I've got nothing in me but the urge to vacuum and these still life images of an emotionless rescue. I watched television with my warm and live cat on my lap then pulled cheap conditioner through my hair while the bathroom filled with steam. Yeah, I've got nothing in me tonight.

Comments

NWJR said…
I have a box of cat ashes on top of a bookcase in my house awaiting their final disposition. I have no idea what to do with them.
Gemnastics said…
that is so unbearably terrible. there is a thickness in my throat and i am distraught.
Anonymous said…
On my drive out yesterday there was a dog on the right hand side, context and circumstances suggested a stray. On my drive home, in the same spot there was a dog on the other right hand side. One black, one brown, or was it one brown and one black?

I should have fucking pulled over.
Anonymous said…
My dad had two cats, both burmese, a brother and sister from the same litter.

Burmese are an awesome breed. Intelligent and affectionate and keen on people, almost dog-like in their nature.

On day i get a call from dad. His voice is cracking as he tells me that Bruno (the boy) was hit by a car outside the house.

They brought him inside and placed him on the couch. "There wasn't a mark on him" cried dad but he was gone nonetheless. I felt a small consolation. It was quick. To live with a yowl and die with a BANG! There are worse ways, like what happened to my brother's dog.

Bella (the sister) came up to sniff him, but was confused by the lack of response. That was probably two or three years ago. Bella still walks around like she's expecting me to show up any minute. I think dad does too.
Anonymous said…
I mean like she's expecting Bruno to show up any minute. My ego is intruding.
Anonymous said…
"Do you ever play a song and wonder what John Lennon would have thought about it?"

Actually after reading his last interview and all his remarks about every Beatle song, I think I know implicitly what me old pal Lennon would have thought of it.

xox Rups
Anonymous said…
OMG!! i totally thought it was miss S kitty at first... jeez give me a total heart attack. That is still terrible, but im relieved that i will see our fuzzy peachette again... goodness... u poor veehs.. and poor kitty xxx
DS said…
I am almost certain that I am glad that I tried to rescue the small and unknown cat.


Rups,

Does John Lennon like Sufjan Stevens?
Anonymous said…
http://www.corporate-casual.com/2006/06/29/hipster-erotica/
DS said…
Thank you diehard3. That was excellent.