Walking with mandarins

I didn't realise I did this quite so much until Grizelda asked me to stop. I'm quite certain that walking up and down the hallway with a mandarin helps me to think clearly and I need to think clearly. I've been jamming things into my head, words, music, film and laughter. I've been jamming things into my head with full fists and a carelessness of aim so that now I walk flat like a camel lest it all clatter out onto the carpet.

It is a quiet tonight in The Peach, Grizelda lying on the couch watching telly, Superman sitting stern and silent, chipping away at his work in an armchair by the fire in the library. I am cross-legged and hunch back typing on the floor in front of the fire, me, my cat and my mandarin.

I am rewriting, reinventing and reinterpreting my first set of interview notes. So far all the sentences sound overtly constructed, like this one "She wants Sunday afternoons mixed in bowls with salad and the sprawling of fathers on outdoor furniture forming horizons out her kitchen window." I'll get there in the end but I might need a bigger bag of mandarins.

Comments

Gemnastics said…
You spend a lot of time in your hallway.
DS said…
Hallways are good. They are a nowhere place. I had my desk in a hallway once. I like hallways.