Is there a difficulty?

I want to write an advertisement but do not know how to word it. I was recently talking to some very serious (about their writing) writers, all with books published and was astonished to learn that they all belong to writers' groups. Some of these groups have been together for twenty years. Infiltrating an established group like that is out of the question, joining one at the NSW Writers' Centre is also out of the question as they mostly seem too formal and are often a sort of training course. I don't want anymore study. I have studied enough for now.

What I do want is a small band of allies. A small group of people committed enough to meet regularly and offer criticism in a helpful, reliable and ongoing way. This where I have a problem. How on earth I am going to find such people. The world is littered with people who say they are writing novels but are not really writing novels. I am fussy and would rule out romance, science fiction, nonfiction, children's books, young adult and poetry, this is because I would not be able to offer helpful criticism to their work more than anything else.

My initial attempts at drafting an ad are crap. Exhibit A.

Wanted. People who write books who are not fucktards.

Comments

Shelley said…
I once saw an ad for a writer's group in Newtown but I thought they sounded like twats.

I guess that's why you're writing your own ad?
cath said…
I'm writing a cookbook but I don't think that's what you're looking for:-) Good luck!!
NWJR said…
"What I do want is a small band of allies. A small group of people committed enough to meet regularly and offer criticism in a helpful, reliable and ongoing way."

You should start a blog.

Or a mailing list...seriously, why can't this be "virtual" rather than an IRL exchange?
DS said…
Nails,

I have heard of this phantom ad in Newtown but no one was able to tell me where they saw it. Please please tell me where you saw it.

They could be my kind of twats, maybe,


NWJR,

I am entering my manuscript in a manuscript prize which means unpublished and I don't want to have any difficulties about whether or not online counts as published i terms of the conditions of entry.

Also I intend to assert my copyright.

The other problem with a blog is that I don't want to be either under or overwhelmed by the number or quality of criticisms. I don't have extensive experience in this area but I do have some and I would like my skill to be at least matched by the person leaving comments. Now I sound like a twat. Oh well.
Art Jeweller said…
you doing pretty good already, If I may say so.
Hans
TimT said…
There, how can you go past an excellent comment by a person called Hans? Much less an author of the most excellent type of book in the universe, a Cookbook.*

Besides, this whole writing group thing - nowadays, at least - is often referred to by another name, 'Blogging'.

*KILLER FACT! One of the bestselling books in Australia last year was a book on stain removal.
TimT said…
WANTED: PEOPLE WHO WRITE BOOKS

No fucktards. No twats. People who write opinion columns about marmalade, now there's kind of a grey area.

To apply, please send one (1) soul in the mail to Dale Slamma, genius, of Newtown, by close of business, Wednesday.

If soul is not available, send name of demonic entity and/or supernatural being who currently has soul in their possession.
Shelley said…
Oh, Dale, it was years ago. I think it was either on a notice board in the laundromat (the one that used to be near Eastern Flair) or, possibly, on a flier stuck to a pole somewhere. Maybe even a local newspaper. I might even have seen it in all three places.
Try notice boards in laundromats. They're always interesting even if they haven't what you want.
DS said…
I was going to write something but then I forgot.

Tim I thought you were the master of things about marmalade written by marmalade. That would be a specialty group I imagine.

How does marmalade hold a pen?
TimT said…
Dunno, but have you heard the joke that goes...

Q: What did the baby chicken say when it saw an orange in its nest?

A: "Look at the orange mama-laid!"
DS said…
Tim you have hurt me. I fell off the bed laughing and banged my knee on a cupboard. I am tempted to report you to the pun police.
TimT said…
What with your achey bum and your bruised knee, you seem to be in a fragile position. For heavens' sake don't try and do a handstand, or I can't answer for the consequences.