Found object: pen


This pen was found in Melbourne, in a letterbox by Martin. He picked it up and took it inside because I posted it to him. This is not precisely how the experiment is supposed to work but its a start.

In 1986 I acquired the pen from my father after he got an exciting new shiny white one, with a tiny clock set into the top of it so you could just glance down and immediately see the time. I thought that a pen-on-a-rope was the height of practical yet stylish sophistication. My fear is that so did my father.

In a shock announcement my mother told me that last night she broke her foot, doing a handstand.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I permanently borrowed a pen from your brother that said "fuck safe, shoot clean". He had permanently borrowed it from your mum. We were about 15 at the time, and we thought that pen was the height of cool.
DS said…
I had no idea about this pen. I am shocked that my mother had a pen with 'fuck' written on it.
Anonymous said…
It was a pen to raise awareness about HIV and Hep C.
I've always found your mum more than happy to use fuck as a term, but when your brother called someone a "fucking cunt" she asserted very quickly and sternly that he should NOT use female genitalia in a derogative way. Your mum, as always, is an interesting woman.
NWJR said…
...because she's on, she's on, she's on the American Bandstand, Bandstand.

Sorry. You said "Handstand" and that was all I could think of.


Hope your mom's OK.
TimT said…
If your mother breaks her foot during a handstand, does she break her hand during a footstand? Goodness. Hope she's all right, anyway.
DS said…
My mother will be fine, she is of course in some pain and suffering a great deal of inconvenience caused by having a foot encased in plaster.

My confession is that I am terribly pleased that my mother has done something as odd as breaking a foot doing a handstand. Yoga is not meant to be a contact sport.