Faith is not necessary

It is real and does not need imagining or inventing. Ted Hughes, an insightful twat, wrote in a letter "The impression of enormous energy having been exerted is really the battle you've had with yourself." He was of course referring to a day spent writing and not writing. Sometimes I hear people chastise themselves for living and fearing and struggling despite a lack of external demons. There are no wars here, no fire-breathing crushing oppressors, not here on the Light Continent, the Lucky Country.

I have spent some years in reflection on this topic, wondering just what is this invisible burden that would press me into the ground. My Grandparents, now they had external demons; Changi & Shanghai POW camps, crossing oceans, learning languages, the memory of the depression and the tangible loss of loved ones to that mad world violence. What is my struggle? My father was the child of immigrants perhaps that was his. My mother had her own socially constructed struggle but mine, mine is newly formed in words.

It is not new to be at war with yourself. This is not my invention. I'm putting down the burden of wondering at struggling over intangibles and that creeping shame that it is not right to feel battleworn when I have employment and such food and shelter that I have enough to share and still grow fat and be warm. My high quality sheets do not help with my manuscript. My fresh salad and chicken poached with herbs picked from the deck do not help with my manuscript.

I am exhausted and worn flat with attempting to manufacture strings of words. My sentences will not run. My paragraphs sit opposed to each other. The alphabet is ready but scrambled, bastard undecipherable code, and all the while I am raging against this. I am raging for this. I am not imagining the anxiety, joy, hatred, frustration, exhaustion, terror and effort required just to think about writing. This invisible battle is mine and its real.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I sometimes admire younger folk, how they flip over and pull out a notebook, or make a scribble, and I think of myself back then smashing out ideas for the sake of getting them out ... these days it feels like doing accounting occasionally coming across an odd number and by that I don't mean uneven but strange, and the excitement only to then return trying to get all the sums in place.

xoxo Rups
DS said…
Rups!

You have illuminated my problem precisely for me. I feel I am in a transitional phase somewhere between the mad scrawling of ideas and the physical need to sink quietly into a project as a long piece of work. I do not yet know how to perform the sinking quietly but it is what I need to do yet still I have incessant need to scrawl out mad ideas, this is my battle.
xd
NWJR said…
"My high quality sheets do not help with my manuscript."

It's statements like that that keep drawing me back to this blog.
DS said…
NWJR,

You pick out the oddest sentences. The things you find amusing or interesting are constantly surprising to me. I hope you continue to comment.