Stingoes

Creamboy is about to receive his first pay cheque as a doctor. Well done Creamboy. I of course offer my heartfelt congratulations on this milestone however it is not without a sting. Its moments like these that the measuring rods slide out of their invisible holsters. Creamboy's current specialty is vascular surgery, mine is disappointing people.

No. No that is not true. Mine is to be unfathomable and to take unexpected directions for unrevealed reasons. I am not powerless in this situation. I chose not to practice law. I chose to work for shit pay in the arts sector. I chose to turn in circles while my classmates from university walked straight down the line. I have real and complex ethical and artistic issues with the Australian law and how it impacts on the lives of ordinary people. I have thought this through drawing on all of my skills for abstract and higher reasoning. I have that law degree sitting in the bottom of my giant cupboard for a reason.

I wish that I could have buttoned up a grey suit and marched out the door every morning satisfied that I was doing the best that I could but I couldn't. Now. I might be ready now to begin reconsidering the law as a career path. Now, but not then.

I am going to take that darn degree out of the cupboard and prop it against the wall, just for a little while to see what happens.

Comments

Art Jeweller said…
Mine is to be unfathomable and to take unexpected directions for unrevealed reasons

Truly, that would be a good reason for not practicing law.

However, mostly laywers are richer than artists.

This is something that invisible measuring rods show to be true
cath said…
Well, I understand the sting. I did some of a medical degree but had issues with Australian medical practise. Now I'm a singing teacher.