Year of hamburgers

At the end of 2006 I resolved to only order hamburgers when I was out to dinner, if available on the menu. At the time it felt incredibly sensible. I had reached the point of being so unsure about who I was that the act of choosing from a menu was a defining moment.

Last Friday night I went to The Duke with The Peachettes for dinner. I ordered the hamburger and it was delicious but it dawned on me that it wasn't necessary and now I find myself having to make the stupid proclamation that I don't need to order hamburgers anymore. I'm ok to eat the fish or the pasta or the prawns or whatever other food I fancy. I think its getting on to salad time.

I'm wary. I 'm skittish. I'm meeting Zissou for a drink on Friday night. It is a small thing to meet a person for a drink. So unimaginably mundane for the masses but in my head it is turning into a turning point. Who I am meeting or why is less relevant than the fact that I am meeting someone for a drink. My second stupid proclamation for the night is that I have never met someone for a drink before. Friends, of course, people I know certainly, the experiment man didn't make it past one coffee but he was just an experiment man.

Inside there are a team of tiny workers hammering together the prefabricated pieces of my built in add on adult pack. I have no idea how the drink will go but I am not concerned about that. I am more worried about being flattened by the debris in my rising tide. I am clicking into place with a strong freeing of the dust and it is not because of someone else. It is me. I am ordering the fish, I am telling people no, no I don't like that. I am walking around content with the rhythm of my step and the limit in my stride while my flaws turn into facets.

Comments

Shelley said…
But not, I think, prawns at The Duke.

Good luck with Zissou.
DS said…
Thanks for the ordering tip and the luck, The Duke does seem like the kind of place where one should stick with 'safe' foods.
NWJR said…
"Inside there are a team of tiny workers hammering together the prefabricated pieces of my built in add on adult pack."

Fucking BRILLIANT!

Every now and again I read something and say to myself, "Damn, I wish I'd written that." Bravo!
Shelley said…
Actually, I just don't think they run to prawns.

I fucking love The Duke :)
Anonymous said…
I always order Humbuggers because you never know what you are going to get.

xo Rups
DS said…
NWJR, thanks.

Nailpolishblues, I too am growing to love the Duke.

Rups, humbugger is both frightful and tasty, an enticing combination.
Gemnastics said…
Indeed, you ordered the burger at the townie.