Console

I have pinprick burns all over my face, I'm not that used to cooking anymore. Grizelda fled The Peach and headed west for some Parramatta action. Grizelda should watch out, I think Parramatta is one of the places Spencer is going to edit out when he reconfigures the world into Spenconia. Queensland of course will have to go, I'm hoping the Bank Hotel will vanish from King St one day but Spencer says he's just thinking about the big things at the moment, like Queensland and everything between Bowral and Canberra and Canberra and Melbourne. Canberra gets to stay because it is odd enough to be interesting.

With The Peach to myself I should have rolled twelve fat joints and sat around in my underpants licking chocolate off the carpet but instead I cleaned everything, telephoned my mother and washed the cat's bowls. In a mad fit of non-thinking I decided to make felafel, this is where my brother phoned and said he was looking for some food to eat. I wore an apron but failed to protect my face from hideous and invisible hot oil droplets. The felafel was delicious but still my brother and I set out on a mission to the pastizzi cafe. The pastizzi cafe was jumping, not a spare millimeter of room. Full mouths, warm bellies and pots of tea were stacked like puppies in a basket. A man with a guitar and woman with a double bass were playing Eleanor Rigby in a corner. I love the pastizzi cafe. If I was a restaurant I would marry it.

My brother announced, in the island cafe over coffee and cigarettes, that he is odd and that he is going to embrace his oddness. His announcement made me quite proud. I took a meditative moment to stir the vanilla through my coffee and lick down the paper on my cigarette. I was going to say something important but Spencer appeared from around the corner and reverse moonwalked over to the table and sat down. Madam Squeeze followed shortly after walking her long narrow walk and smiling for England.

The remains of the day was spent submerged in surreal conversation, this is when I discovered that "Long Way to The Top" has the following chord progression ACDC, that The Eagles waged a soft rock war Toto and that Spencer can moonwalk sideways as well as backwards. We sipped at hot chocolates then walked around in companionable formations hunting down records and staring at lamps. I came home full, tired and holding a can of L&P in one hand and a cd called Mondo Exotica; Fifites Lounge Music in the other.

I'm wondering if I should have dipped my feet in paint when I first moved here. I'm wondering if its possible to trace back every step or zoom out into space see what shapes I'm making walking around here on earth. I have a feeling that I'm writing my own name.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I distinctly remember your brother fifteen years ago introducing himself to my parents, then adding the qualification "and I'm weird".
Glad to see he has moved onto odd.
DS said…
He did say weird but I prefer the word odd.
Anonymous said…
I thought it odd that he would say odd. He is weird.
Take "Lavender Cheeks" for example.
Glad he's back to accepting being weird.