I am allergic to my dressing gown

I tried flapping it around and then putting it in the drier. I tried superheating it on top of the heater. I tried steaming it in the shower but still the explosive cat terrifying sneezes come one after the other. I am propelled backwards with flailing arms. I have stumbled into the fridge, the housemate, the wall, two doorways and three chairs. This is not ideal.

I am clawing at my face, tearing at my eyes, pushing pointed scratching sticks down my throat. I am cold and miserable and my legs are thrown in the air with the force of each sneeze but this is not what I wanted to talk about. I want to smoke. I want to push out air and watch it unfurl. I want my living breath made tangible.

I want to stride across roads and throw down my cigarette lit and glowing under the feet of a stranger. I want to flick it in your face, press it to your arm, hold it to your eye. I want to screen reason and dim lights. I want to stop sneezing long enough to think about this properly.

Comments