Professors professors everywhere

I was in the office this morning for a bit talking to Robert about something I call Professor Points and academic publishers. If you are an academic you need to have a certain amount of stuff published, particularly stuff that has been peer reviewed, this earns you points or something that you need if you want to be a professor and who doesn't want to be a professor. The exact system is a little obscure so I generally just call the whole thing Professor Points.

Its not a bad idea this Professor Points system, I like systems. I also like filling in forms but don't tell anyone. For some years now I have joked about having an annual friend cull, in fact I do generally have a little period of reflection about who is in my life and how my relationships are going. Unfortunately the end result is that I often feel neglected and somewhat angry about things. This year I'm flipping the process. I am going to rate my friends, not with a view to culling friends or feeling disappointed but more as a rewards system. Being endlessly unimaginative I call the scheme Professor Points. The scheme starts now and will last until I become bored with it, it chases all my friends away or I am well enough to recommence more active experimentation.

I only wish I knew some kind of genius to set up an interesting interface, I guess I'll just have to manage. You can find the Professor Points running tally just above Dead vs Alive in the side column.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dale,

I accidently told the Milk Bar guy that you liked filling in forms - he grumbled back at me - "That'll be right, just let her swish in here trying to fill in forms" - sorry, am I in trouble now? Or have I been in trouble from the day I was born?

Rups :0
cath said…
Will this involve writing peer-reviewed articles? Are you counting speling? (:-) Is web research applicable?

On a more serious note,-hope you're feeling a little better. Did you try the 'Floradix' thing?
Grizelda said…
OMG! i have a secret love of filling in forms aswell! i thought i was alone!!!!!!!
Gemnastics said…
Hmmm. at this point you are in danger of your friends vying for points in imaginative ways. We may become competitive. Do I score any for offering you unlimited accommodation in Melbourne, including cups of tea?
DS said…
Rups! Now I can never go to the milkbar near your house. For shame.

Cath, I stayed awake for the whole day today. A whole day! I am not taking any supplements until I am finished all the other stuff. I already have antibiotics, anti-antibiotics because my stomach is SERIOUSLY upset from the antibiotics, plus gastrolyte plus gastrostop plus panadol. Am turning into pill popping freak plus I fear it is nearly naprogesic time. God help me I'm all chemicals.

Grizelda, I did not know that about you.

Gemma, yes one Professor Point for you.
Anonymous said…
Dale,

word travels around fast in the Milk Bar world, sadly I received a letter from a retired Melbourne Milk Bar owner now caretaker for lodgings somewhere in Sydney, he had some forms that "Dale might want to fill out", I am awfully apologetic about all this, I sent him back a dried fig wrapped in a five dollar note with a card that read "I sworn now to uphold my word never to utter another in relations to the matter of ms Slamma and her penchant for form filling ... Warm Wishes Rups" - it seems to have worked.

Rups xo
cath said…
Ick. The Naprogesic word fills me with dread,-as if you didn't have enough to deal with. Why oh why can't the universe ever understand that one is ill and incapable of dealing with womb-matters?
I saw two little blue wrens mating this morning. Don't know why it made me happy, but thought I'd share it. My lemon tree is, apparently a sexy place to be if you're a blue wren.
TimT said…
The movie of your life should be called 'Professors, Professors, Professors' in loving homage to 'Amigos, Amigos, Amigos' (as mentioned on Steve Martin movie 'The Three Amigos')
DS said…
I will be played by Stephen Fry, in drag.