I'm a fucktard or I'm so lonely I could die or how do you accidentally fall in love it doesn't seem very sensible to do that sort of thing

And so is Elliot. I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time, the other bits of time I am determinedly doing the wrong thing, on purpose, whilst telling myself it will all be fine in the end so this time I have deleted all of Elliot's phone numbers and no, I don't remember them, not even a little bit.

I'm still sick. I'm not getting much better, hardly better at all and I've made the decision that if it turns out that I am after all suffering from something terrible then I will just let it kill me. Elliot says that the Dale he knows will simply rise to any challenge and find yet more reserves of strength but like I said, Elliot is a fucktard.

Elliot feels bad about the shagging, says it won't happen again. Says that its just not working for him because it doesn't fit with his choice to be sober and celibate.

My problem is a very simple one. I accidentally love him. I like the way he stands when he chops vegetables and I want to have him chopping vegetables in my kitchen every day I until I die. He lives in rehab, he is literally living the one day at a time dream, he is determined right down to his last molecule to do whatever it takes to live sober. Whatever it takes is living one day at a time and keeping things simple. Having a relationship is complicated so its just not on his list of options. This is the simple problem.

The cure is more complicated. Whenever I imagine growing older and living in a different house it is with Elliot. My imagined future is Elliot-based or its white void and I couldn't be angrier about it if I tried.

I am the person who has imagined, for my whole life, living and writing and working and doing things all by myself or with a cat. Not once did I dream of a big white wedding. I only dreamed of my book launch parties and how fabulous I would be at my book launch parties but now I have this clouded vision of an emptiness and a meaninglessness.

I have developed a tangible need to be loved. I am now a person who needs to be loved but I am not loved. My family is not a close family, my friends are not the kind that will just come and be with me. I have become lonely and isolated. I did try and fill my life with interesting things and people but the very moment I became ill it all fell away and I lay for days and days without signs of love or care from the people in my life. It is all a construct. When Artboy went mental Boli told me to keep busy, so I did. I enrolled in my community college, went to yoga classes, took guitar lessons, went to poetry things and gigs and arranged to meet friends as often as possible but it was all so constructed. Infrastructure will collapse.

I'm not imagining the possibility of a lonely future because it has already begun. It does not matter if I wear my nicest outfit and feel very happy and throw myself into life. Its like my universe has run out of people to offer me and finally finally I get it. Elliot will not be chopping vegetables in my kitchen and it doesn't matter how I feel about it, its not going to happen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I got very sad reading your post. You sound like a lovely person and you deserve to have people around you that care and love you. Unfortunately most nice people are so busy making sure everyone around them is okay that they forget to look after themselves.
Shelley said…
I wish I had something helpful to say but I'm one of those who gets lost in their imaginations while the real world passes on by. I don't get involved and will eventually be the old cat lady, and part of me wants it, but part of wants a whole lot more.
Sometimes it's easier when they don't even know you exist. Then you don't have to pretend. You can pretend other things and gradually make them real.

You need an aunt like mine - she once came and rescued me from a share house when I was terribly sick. Then she fed my yoghurt and strawberries and watermelon and gave me a cat and left me to sleep.
Gemnastics said…
i often feel like this - detached from the rest of the world, while those around me bond and become meaningful to the people they are surrounded by. this is why i have a pet.
Anonymous said…
Dale,

I just had this day dream about a book launch if ever I get around to writing one and it involved The Eagles of Death Metal, copies of the book behind the bar for sale along with the drinks of course, and lots of elicit substances - it was rather a pleasant day dream - fuck I hate lonely times, strangely when the gears shift again you'll probably be inundated with phone calls, people baning at your door at 6am, and unwanted dinner guests to such a degree that you'll be craving solace like never before - I extend my Blogging love to you Dale although it does rather sound like the creatures from Labyrinth appearing in the bedroom saying "If you need us", "Yes, if you need us" - if you remember the moment?

Get thee to Melbourne one rainy day and have a BEER!

xoxox Rups
DS said…
Anon, I am nice, and clever and witty and generally unimaginably fabulous.

I have a cat.

Rups, I fucking love that movie. Hey I don't think I've seen you swear before. Generally when you say fuck you mean it quite literally. I will come to Melbourne one day but it will be a shandy, yummy shandy.
Anonymous said…
Dale,

fucking really? I have been known to sling the odd obscenity quite deftly into my twee tongue - xox Rups