There are mulberries on my tree

and in my mouth, on the soles of my feet and on my purple lips. With my bare feet, scoop neck cotton blouse and tattered old jeans it seems only right to eat mulberries and dance a silent waltz.

I am slow and befuddled, wanting only sunlight and to pick and eat growing things. It has been good to be still and silent after the chaotic communal joy at Ron & Rita's. Ron's brother and his partner are visiting from Tasmania and I watched them closely, peering for scars and traces of brutality. He is a good man Ron's brother, like Ron, and I almost can't bear to think about him surrounded and beaten.

I have harmed my brain with Friday's merriment. I might have died if Rita had not cooked us all the breakfast of dreams yesterday morning. Today I had tea and toast with mulberries. Today I devised a new test for future crushes. Any man that does not make me feel the way Elliot makes me feel is not worth thinking about. I shall call it the Elliot test and if no man ever passes then I will know that it is better to dance a silent and solitary waltz than waste my heart on another.

I still need to tidy my room. I cannot walk from one side to the other, there are piles of books, vintage suitcases full of things from the old house. The suitcases are duck egg blue and I dare not open them in case they are full of Artboy's things and not mine. They have been in my car since I moved here and there they would have remained if I did not have to collect my brother and his luggage from the airport. I will sit here and stare at them until my courage rises.

Comments