And I'm not afraid to die

You can only do that if you're a front man with years of experience. Nick Cave rode that stage like it was some kind of wild horse, he was all legs and arms and hands. He is a tall walking stick of rock and finally I understand how groupies could happen.

There were two sets, I was most looking forward to the first set, the Grinderman set but I fear I was in the minority. Sometimes there was a failure to launch. The drummer, come on the drummer, was clearly both aged and able. He was wearing a pink suit but in the Grinderman set he failed to build it. Rhythm when its working can free your soul. Now everyone knows that there is a progression that releases the soul. There is a famous piece that most conductors will only do once in their lives, so powerful is the music that it can destroy you. It is a symphony of death. Lesser known but more often felt is the rhythmic equivalent.

When you drum, when you are in the rhythm section it is your duty to build the cage. You can't technically define the cage. It is something that surrounds you in safety and then freedom. It conjurs into being bars to rattle. You know you're there when you can fall off the beat, go behind it, dance around it, set your elbows on fire with fills and accents and its still there. It doesn't matter now what you do because the cage of rhythm is solid. You have to build it with years of thud thud paradiddle, you can't just go out and buy standard number five rock sticks and expect the cage to appear. It is inside reverie.

Now Jim, the drummer, he was building the cage, you can tell its somewhere that he has lived but in the first set it wasn't quite there. Not quite there and god knows you need a cage in which to keep both Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. They must transport Warren Ellis between gigs in some kind of reinforced box. He's hellfire on legs and I'm sure it takes a man like Nick to tame him.

The second set, now that was a different game. The crowd was wrong, they were not my people. I went alone, prepared to throw myself into the abyss, all around me people were dancing and screaming throwing reverent arms into the sky but it was somehow wrong and I kept my harness attached for safety.

I went alone. I got dressed alone, walked there alone, stood outside smoking a cigarette alone, filed in alone and stood like an atoll in a sea of locked arms and hands in each other's pockets. Now I am sick. I've been ill for weeks now, a murderous elusive kind of ill that comes and goes with different signs and symptoms. Last night in a noodle place I burst into flame and nearly passed out. Tonight in the Enmore my mouth went dry, the world turned, I felt the blood rush down away from my face and my skin took to setting on fire. This happened more than once. During the Ship Song I grabbed my bag and turned to make my way out into the lobby to fall onto the red carpet and wait for medical help but at the last second changed my mind. I took to leaning on drunk strangers or locking my legs together to hold myself up. There is a hard rock of pure evil stretching out the skin on the side of my neck. I don't know what the fuck it is, some kind of gland I'm guessing.

So I failed to let loose my whirling demons to dance with Nick Cave but I made it through the night under my own steam. Not once did I wish for rescue, not once did I falter. I walked out at the end, alone, my feet cushioned by that rolled out rubber mat that unfurls just for me when I open the clanking doors in my chest.

Digging for fire has an excellent photo and an account of his Melbourne Nick Cave experience.

Comments

DS said…
Gaaaaah! More clumsiness from the Slamma. One of these days I will write a post when I am not half dead with illness or exhaustion. In the meantime an apology for clumsiness will have to suffice cause I don't edit. I'm the rock star, not the sound guy.
Daniel Green said…
But that's the wonderful thing about the memory hole that is blogger. You can edit the post later, no one will even notice the difference.
DS said…
Hello again Mr Green, welcome to Slammatown. Yes you can edit on blogger and sometimes I do but mostly I don't cause I'm a first draft kind of a woman.
Martin Kingsley said…
That is a wonderful photo he has there, but I cannot be bothered to tell him on his own blog for fear his head will asplode from ego inflation, much like monetary inflation only it doesn't cause the price of a new washing machine to go up. I wonder what good it does then, if only useful for head asplosion and not washing machine revaluation?

I've tried so hard to like Grinderman, and it just ain't happenin', for pretty much the same reasons I think The Birthday Party could shove their post-punk pretension up their technicolour jumpers. The Bad Seeds? Exemplary. Grinderman? I can take or leave. I thought we'd kicked the Wall of Sound thing to the curb back when everyone was still getting a kick out of My Bloody Valentine.

Maybe it's a have-to-see-them-live thing. I don't know.
DS said…
Ah no. I think head asplosion has a valid place regardless in inability to reprice washing machines. Head asplosion holds broader cultural significance. Do you know Mr Digging For Fire?

Grinderman Grinderman I love you Grinderman. I think I am made of ROCK, I will never tire of the good shit and I proclaim Grinderman good shit. Its fucking beautiful loose noise. Ah now I'm too delirious to think of a good way to say it so I'll just say. I get it. I get Grinderman but I'm with you on the whole Birthday Party thing.
Anonymous said…
My mercy seat has a nice cushion on it.

Rups xox
DS said…
Ah my eye tooth.
M L Jassy said…
ds, have you seen Mr Cave perform in a Win Wenders film titled 'Wings of Desire'? That's the only moment I truly caved in. I must need more loose noise in my life.