Excogitate or just plain cogitate

"This country's planted thick laws from coast to coast... and if you cut them down... d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then?" Robert Bolt A Man for All Seasons.

What is it about the law that has such a hold on me? I am sitting here on my bed in Grizelda's shower cap with dye periodically dribbling down behind my ears wondering about the nature of reason and justice. Gleeson CJ [CJ refers to Chief Justice] says in his book The Rule of Law and the Consitution "Law is not the enemy of liberty; it is its partner." I am not Gleeson CJ's biggest fan it is not secret that Kirby J is my all time favourite High Court judge. I went to hear him speak once and I almost swooned at the end of the lecture. His mind is fabulous. I could almost see the auditorium air fill with whirring cogs and the fog of all knowledge coiled at the merest nod of his head. If I could think. If I could think like that I would, actually I don't know what I would do, most likely I would apply myself diligently to something instead of dying my hair in order to be more ROCK but I digress.

I am once again beginning to think with clarity. I am beginning to be glad that I sacrificed five years of my life to study law. I beginning to think that I can think.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think that you could already think.
DS said…
What are you the Wizard of Oz?
Anonymous said…
Oooh. An anonymous message. So exciting I just warmed my underwear with a liquid surprise.
DS said…
Was it your anonymous comment Creamboy?
Anonymous said…
We definitely know that you have a acutely working mind there Dale.

Well done on your application for 5 years. I got jack of my law studies during Torts law (1st semester) over 10 years ago.

Was warned not to mention to you that I had studied law (not that 1 sem really consitutes having studied it). I may start a really big conversation.
DS said…
Damo: Why on earth were you warned not to talk about the law!!!! That's crazytown. I do hope you remember Donoghue v Stevenson it has all the hallmarks of memorability, grossness, turning point in the law and ginger beer. What more could you want from a case?
Anonymous said…
AH HA!!

what tha!

that's why ;-)
DS said…
I don't understand,what do you mean?
Anonymous said…
probably that i would get lost in a conversation that i couldn't keep up with. especially with someone so good with words such as yourself.
Donaghue v Stevenson? No recollection sorry.
Actually, the only case, or part of a case, i do remember i think involved a volkswagon beetle rolling backwards down a street into parked cars or something?? The fact that a precedence could be found for this case amused me. and confused? it just all became a bit too much for me, but only after i'd incured a semester's worth of HECS! :-(