Buskers: Blues dudes: $1.20

These men are not masters of The Blues but I don't think you need to be. The Blues will forgive you almost anything if you can adequately construct its walls and they did. I sat two shops down out the front of Gelatomassi enjoying the cheek sucking in effect of my lemon sorbet joyfully encapsulated by their musical walls. What I love about The Blues is the structure, the resolving and resolving predictability of modulation that creates a safe place to inhabit. Sometimes you are most creatively free within set boundaries and this is a case in point as the harmonica wailed my existence in the house built by guitar. Fuck me I love Newtown.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I worship the blues, and don't really care how badly they are executed. My favorite white boy blues song ever is Tim Buckley's Grief in My Soul for its relentlessly cheering piling on of misery.
Gemnastics said…
Yeah, blues! It's that sexy chug-a-chug-a that gets your feet nodding and your head tapping. It gets everyone moving like that. Then the words are universal, sweet misery that you know only too well. Before you know it everyone's on the same headlength and in the same wavespace and you're all celebrating bittersweet life, oh life, and don't it feel good...