From the Styx

I will let my friend speak for himself despite my general dislike for music made by hippies.



I am the forest activist who was chained to the ground through a car in the Styx Rd.

At 8:30am three police officers arrived in two police cars. I jumped into the car and locked myself into the pipe. Within moments my police liaison team were arrested without warning and put to the back of a paddy wagon by two young police officers. I was left alone with the senior officer who asked if there was anybody in the car. I said yes and asked for him to talk to my liaisons. The same police officer then attempted to smash the windows of the car with his elbow and on failing this smashed through the back driver's side window with a large stone. He opened the drivers side door jumped on top of me stating "I'm sick of you greenie c*nts". He then proceeded to hit my face repeatedly, stuck fingers up my nose, gouged at my right eye, pushed my head into the steering wheel with his knee, twisted my neck and verbally abused me. I was yelling, "This is not right, you are being filmed", to which he replied, "That's why I didn't break the other windows."

Around twenty contractors, obviously aggravated at the valley being blockaded, arrived soon after. The contractors began threatening me, intimidating me, throwing cold water on me and filming me. Had the police officer not been so volatile in his initial contact with me I would have considered unlocking myself at this point but felt safer being attacked by one police officer in side the car than locking off and being left alone with twenty angry contractors. I was inadvertently put in a position where it was both unsafe and unwise to unlock myself from the ground. SES and police rescue were called due to their experience in these situations, however, they could not come until the next day. Instead I had volunteer fire brigade and ambulance officers who were in no way equipped to handle the situation. I was given the option of staying locked on for another night or having some of the boys dig me out. I explained that I would happily wait. They chose to dig me out. The contractors started working towards my release, not with professional tools such as the Jaws of Life, oxy torches and grinders. They used an axe, screwdrivers, a shovel, a car jack and a rock to dig at the concrete. Unprofessional tools wielded by unprofessionals in a situation where my wellbeing was not their priority. The car was jacked up, stretching my arm to expose the concrete. I questioned my safety and in response was hit with the butt of the axe in the arm. This turned into somewhat of a sick game where I talk, I get hit and my 'rescuers' laugh. It was announced by one of the contractors that a reporter for the Mercury had arrived and I thought this would help my situation. However I was told to keep my mouth shut and the car door was closed so as not to see me. The door was opened around fifteen minutes later after she had gone. When the door was opened there were some wives of contractors present getting told, "Take a look at this ugly stinking ippy." A blunt object hit my arm once more and when I screamed and swore in agony I was told "Don’t swear in front of the ladies" and was hit again. The digging and hitting rescue lasted about three hours. I released my clip when it became blatantly obvious that my arm was in danger, once a contractor drove up in his machine to lift the car up. This would have meant my arm would be suspending four bags of concrete. I collected belongings, some of which were soaked by logger’s urine and was driven away uncuffed in the front of a police car with country and western playing through the external speakers of the car.

Throughout my ordeal my civil liberties and basic human rights were stripped of me. The police officer and others abused me both physically and mentally during my 'rescue' for standing up for my beliefs that old growth should not be logged and that Tasmanian forestry practices are poor and unsustainable.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I grew up in Franklin in Tasmania (where I was born) and was surrounded by many issues to do with the Franklin Dam, such a beautiful little spot turned into the equivalent of a mining town in say Western Australia - I remember my friend's house actually had a permanent conclave in its wall where during the protests, a truck carrying stuff for the Dam lost control and veered into it.

Rups
DS said…
So many huge battles are fought in Tasmania. It is a significant island in terms of the law. One case brought by a Tasmanian man successfully changed the laws on homosexuality. That man should be an international hero but even I can't remember his name tonight. Maybe someone can help?
DS said…
I am unbelievably disappointed that you lovely regular commenters did not at least feel the urge to say "Friend of Dale I am sorry that while you were protesting on behalf of other concerned citizens the Police and a bunch of logging dickheads beat the shit out of you causing you actual bodily harm and forever changing your perception of how we all relate one another.
Anonymous said…
I'm proud of him, and thankful that he makes the effort to draw attention to this issue while I cannot. Talking to him about what the timber industry down there does, the practice of clear felling thousand year old wilderness, burning what is left, and the laying poisons so as native animals don't live to eat the eucalypt plantations, makes me angry, it is so disgusting.
The sad fact is pristine wilderness is cheap and immediately profitable to Tasmania's timber industry, where as plantations take a decade or two to make a return. But they do not appear to realise what a tourist goldmine they are destroying. Check this out, and if you want, take the pledge http://www.envirotalk.com.au/Styx/oldgrowth.php Friend of Dale Slamma was given a cigarette case by an antique shop owner in appreciation of his efforts, as antiques are bought by tourists, and not "dickhead loggers" (who a few days later urinated on that very cigarette case, among other things...) They recognise that a smoldering desolate landscape is not what people come to Tasmania to see. Unfortunately the government fails to recognise this.
I would like to see an end to old growth forest logging, and instead for over-farmed land in the murray-darling basin be used for plantations, to help restore the heavily degraded land and water tables. Win win - there are still jobs for the timber industry, and Tasmania's economic future in tourism is secured.
Thanks Dale for letting me have a rant...
DS said…
Hooray! Rant away oldmates, rant away.