Monkeys! and of course I was very very....

It can sometimes happen that you might try to wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo if you are tired. When you get the shampoo foaming some of it might go into your right ear and make you feel funny. It can sometimes also happen that you need to wee after you get in the shower. This is unfortunate, it is better to wee before getting in the shower thus avoiding any should I wee in the shower or not questions. If you live in a sharehouse it is not polite to wee anywhere except the toilet. It is odd that Americans don't say toilet, it is not a rude word.

If you have more than one pair of black socks it can be useful to sew a little stitch in each pair using different coloured thread, this means that you don't have to walk around with one sock more snug than the other. It is distracting to wear different socks even if they are both black, inattention with walking can lead to stepping on things or running into things. Sometimes you might start to walk differently with each foot and this can lead to unexpected injury.

If your cat suddenly starts zooming around the house with a mushroom in its mouth the best thing is to take careful shelter and wait until the zooming stops. The cat will most likely tire of the mushroom as a toy when it works out that mushrooms are vegetables, this is when you can safely retrieve the mushroom and pat the cat nicely. Some cats like to chase ping pong balls, this is better than mushrooms.

If you are going to drink vast quantities of anything you must first check to see if there is toilet paper, if there is no toilet paper you can use tissues from your handbag. If you are a man you do not need tissues to wee but it is nice to wash your hands with soap when you are finished. If you are expecting guests it is traditional to have a little basket with tiny soaps that are shaped like things, roses are popular shapes for tiny soaps. I do not where you can buy these. If you have parents you can steal one guest soap per visit until you have enough to require a little basket. Little baskets are readily available in op shops and at markets that sell ugly things. I do not require tiny soaps as I am not expecting guests.

My mother always says that you can never have too many paper products, this is why she has a special cupboard just for rolls of toilet paper. If an architect is designing your house this is something you might like to mention to her so that the cupboard is close to the toilet and not down the hall. My mother also has a special cupboard for Christmas things. It is cheaper to buy wrapping paper in January then you can pop it in the Christmas cupboard until you need it.

Once when I was in St Kilda I bought a super rubber bouncy ball from a vending machine outside the supermarket. This is a very cost effective way to entertain yourself whilst in a strange city. It is better if you don't bounce the ball on the pier as it might go in the water. My ball was safely contained in my pocket the whole time I was on the pier and it was not lost until the cat zoomed into the garden with it and left it under a rhododendron in the rain. After that it was too muddy for bouncing in the house. If you are tired and it is night time you don't have to have a little nap you can simply go to sleep in your bed and then wake up in the morning and have a nice cup of tea in your dressing gown. It is easier to do this if somebody loves you.

Comments

Gemnastics said…
washing your hair with conditioner is a viable shortcut for those 'bit dirty but not enough to wash' days. it will tide you over another day until wash time, i do it all the time - i picked up this tip from a flatmate.

what do americans call toilets? i must know, but i can't access the answer. the john? the bathroom? that's it isn't it - bathroom. i use it myself. though toilet isn't a rude word, it is an ugly one, and leaves nothing to the imagination. it's all about pipes and poo. bathroom on the other hand, well there can be nice smelling things, and a warming steam.

that is a very good tip with the socks. i am fastidious with my socks - i don't like to wear odd ones for the reasons you indicated, unless they are the same sock in a different colour. someone i used to live with told me i was abnormal because all my socks still had their matching half. her sock drawer was full of lonely confused single socks.

pets are funny with small items of human food. i give cooper the tops of zucchinis. he does a corroborree (sp?) around them, lies on his back and squirms in their vicinity, and bats a paw at them while they are just out of reach. he prefers his zooming to be done with a slipper.
DS said…
I'm going to try the conditioner thing next time its appropriate, today not being one of those days. My hair is stiff with dirt from helping a friend pack very dusty things to move house. In my experience American university professors prefer to say bathroom.

I've worked out that my personal zooming is best done with super balls or kites.
Anonymous said…
That was a really beautiful post. I have also bought a boucyball from outside a supermarket in St. Kilda, in fact I used to work in a supermarket in St. Kilda, but that was afterwards, and then I stole cigarettes from inside the supermarket, which is much less innocent and not the same thing at all, although more lucrative.
DS said…
I think I am only person I know that has never stolen anything. I think I need to fix this.
Anonymous said…
never EVER? Not even gum?

I stole a ridiculous amount of clothing, food and straight cash from chain-stores until I was inevitably arrested. It was a bit pathetic, and I can't recommend it.

I think it's cool you never have. You should keep it, and then you can use it when you play "I've Never" (the drinking game). It's fun not having done things. For example: I have not seen either of the Matrix Sequels.
DS said…
Nope never stolen a damn thing unless you count nicking biscuits from my housemates biscuit tin, but she said I could have one if I wanted but I still felt bad because she wasn't home to ask. As soon as she got home I confessed to having eaten three biscuits and she laughed at me which was very mean.